+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can Spouse go alone with Open work permit when husband Company specific work permit

Jan 1, 2018
I have Company specific Work Permit for Canada and its valid for 3 years. My wife also have Open work permit. Due to some reason client is not continuing with the project. My question is if my wife have Open work permit can she go with out me for work in Canada? Can I go and work for any other company if I leave my current company ? Can I go with out job offer and search for job in Canada ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If your wife goes to Canada without you, the open work permit won't be issued when she arrives since it's based on your work permit. You need to come to Canada along with her - at least at first.

No - you cannot use your work permit to work for another company.

Yes - you can look for new job offers in Canada.

Jan 1, 2018
If your wife goes to Canada without you, the open work permit won't be issued when she arrives since it's based on your work permit. You need to come to Canada along with her - at least at first.

Thanks, It was really a quick reply.
I can look for job offers in Canada but Do I have to get PR first?
I think I need to get IELTS exam

If I get the Job offer, In how many days/months can I change my workpermit?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you find a job the employer will need to get a LMIA and then you can apply for a work permit. Most employers don't want to go through the time and expense. It usually takes 4-6 months.

GreenPlant

Sep 20, 2023

Hi,

i have a similar query but little different circumstances. I’m on closed work permit and my husband has open work permit. He has secured a job on the same open work permit, got offer letter etc. and he’s expected to report in mid oct. Now problem is that my travel (primary applicants travel) isnt getting finalised due to project delays and may need another month or 2. Can my husband travel without me, with a valid job offer and other valid documents?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

i have a similar query but little different circumstances. I’m on closed work permit and my husband has open work permit. He has secured a job on the same open work permit, got offer letter etc. and he’s expected to report in mid oct. Now problem is that my travel (primary applicants travel) isnt getting finalised due to project delays and may need another month or 2. Can my husband travel without me, with a valid job offer and other valid documents?
I don't know. Your husband may have problems getting the open work permit issued.